The Register has a story at https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/29/cloud_wars_top_providers_gartner/ about Gartner’s report on IaaS public cloud revenues for 2018.
- total market grew 31.3% in 2018
- AWS remained number 1 with revenue increasing from $12.221bn to $15.495bn, but market share dropped from 49.4% to 47.8% (although still more than 3 times the share of any other vendor).
- MSFT remained number 2 with revenue increasing from $3.130bn to $5.038bn, increasing their market share by 2.8%
- Alibaba remained number 3, increasing revenue from $1.298bn to $2.499bn, and market shared by 2.4%
- Google remainder number 4, increasing revenue from $0.820bn to $1.314bn, and market share by 0.7%
- IBM dropped market share by 0.1% at number 5
- remaining providers saw their combined market share drop from 27.4% to 23.2%
http://www.platformonomics.com/2019/07/a-very-cold-take-on-ibm-red-hat-and-their-hybrid-cloud-hyperbole/ has a long and scathing analysis of why IBM bought Red Hat, why Red Hat were looking to be acquired, and what all their combined Hybrid Cloud offer…Read More