by Channy Yun (Thank you).
AWS is launching
a new command-line tool that helps
- containerize existing applications that are running on-premises,
- in Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), or in other clouds,
- without needing any code changes.
AWS App2Container is offered free.
- discovers applications running on a server,
- identifies their dependencies, and
- generates relevant artifacts for seamless deployment to Amazon ECS and Amazon EKS.
It also provides integration with AWS CodeBuild and AWS CodeDeploy to enable a repeatable way to build and deploy containerized applications.
AWS App2Container generates the following artifacts for each application component:
Application artifacts such as
- application files/folders,
- container images in Amazon Elastic Container Registry (ECR),
- ECS Task definitions,
- Kubernetes deployment YAML,
- CloudFormation templates to deploy the application to Amazon ECS or EKS, and
- templates to set up a build/release pipeline in AWS Codepipeline which also leverages AWS CodeBuild and CodeDeploy.
Starting today, you can use App2Container to containerize
ASP.NET (.NET 3.5+) web applications running in IIS 7.5+ on Windows, and
Java applications running on Linux --
- standalone JBoss, Apache Tomcat, and
- generic Java applications such as Spring Boot, IBM WebSphere, Oracle WebLogic, etc.